We face a fossil free future. Coal power stations are closing. Solar and wind will power much of our lives. The grid needs to be repurposed for the 21st century.
What is Labour’s role in building this new future? How can we pay for it? How will we make the transition both fast and just? Who will own the future?
We’re putting on a Fringe event at Labour Conference 2016 in Liverpool, together with Energy Democracy Project:
Hall 2H2 inside the secure zone at the ACC
Labour Divests: Building the Just Transition & a New Economy
Our confirmed speakers are
- Barry Gardiner MP — Shadow Secretary of State for Energy & Climate Change
- Claudia Beamish MSP — Shadow Minister for Environment & Climate Change
- Allison Roche — Policy Officer, UNISON
- Mika Minio-Paluello — Energy Economist, Energy Democracy Project
- Sarah Shoraka — Campaigner, Platform London
- Claudia Webbe — Councillor and Executive Member for Environment & Transport, Islington Council
- Sakina Sheikh – Labour Energy Forum
We need to renew our homes, our transport network, our electricity infrastructure. Once industrial regions from Yorkshire to Clydeside can lead the leap forwards. We can build a just and green industrial strategy from the bottom up.
Labour-run councils and devolved governments can start today. By divesting from fossil fuels, we can free up capital to create an energy future fit for the next generation.
Labour Divests is a new network of Labour councillors and members focused on building the just transition and a new economy.